Thursday, August 27, 2015

A 'Positive Teen on the Run' Story... as told to HFL by a VMS volunteer

It was a pretty nice day so I decided to help out with the practice run our 'Positive Teens' were taking in preparation for their first 5K race.  I was in the lead car watching in the rear view mirror as our excited youngsters rounded the bend.  My mouth dropped as I watched one of the 2 lead youngsters striding away from the pack.  Tears sprang to my eyes as I realized who it was.  Phillie has been part of the support group since he was 7 years old and always so sickly.  He is not a scholar and is far too old for his class so he gets depressed and doesn't want to go to school.... but running!! 

Running is his passion and motivation. As I watched him round the bend with his head held high and a huge smile on his face I felt my cheeks grow damp.  Thank you VMS for allowing this once hopeless young man the opportunity to feel proud and confident. I think he's going to make it!


Please consider making a small contribution for Phillie’s chance to run the “big race” in October. He needs entry fees, transportation, running shoes and proper running attire.


Thank You.